The only way to begin your training at CrossFit Genesis is with an introductory session. These are held by appointment only – contact us to schedule one.
Our introductory session is a complimentary one-on-one training session in which you’ll get a chance to learn about our program and experience a CrossFit workout for yourself. The introductory session is a prerequisite for taking a class. Its purpose is to help us serve you better by getting to know your goals, expectations, fitness level, and experience. After your introductory session, you can choose one of several membership options that give you access to our group fitness program and classes.
Try It From Home!
If you want to try our workouts, you can start immediately by going to our blog and checking out our daily workouts, also called workouts of the day (or WODs). Another great place to start is on our links page, where you can find lists of workouts that don’t require any equipment. These are a good example of the style of our training and classes. However, be careful: these workouts were designed for elite athletes and are very difficult – we have a few suggestions for getting started:
- Learn the movements – many of the exercises we include in our workouts will be different from any you have done in the past. When you are learning a new movement, go light, reduce the repetitions and emphasize good form. Overdoing it in a new exercise is an easy way to get hurt.
- Start easy! Get through the workout. Modify it any way you need to – split up a high repetition set into many smaller sets, reduce the weights, reduce the volume and shorten the distances.
- Make the WODs a habit. Perform them three days in a row, then take one day off; or five days on and two days off. Consistency is the key, not so much intensity at first. Be consistent.
- After the first month, start increasing the intensity of your workouts. Many people ask the question, “Is the WOD really all I need to do?” The answer is emphatically, “YES” – as long as you complete it going as hard and fast as possible. Your goal is to attack every workout and tear it to shreds. It should CRUSH you!
High intensity is part of the design of CrossFit and is required to get the full benefits. At these high intensities, your body will respond and recover with very high neurological and endocrine (hormonal) adaptation (neuroendocrine response). This is the “secret” behind the effectiveness of the workout of the day and why it will enable you to develop world-class fitness, usually in twenty minutes or less per workout!
If you run in to difficulties on your own, want to get personal or group instruction, or want to simply learn more, we suggest the following resources:
- Contact us to schedule an introductory session
- Read “How to Start” at crossfit.com
- Download the free copy of the CrossFit Journal entitled What is Fitness?
- Download a free copy of CrossFit Foundations
- Browse the crossFit.com web site for gobs of information.